Tattoo aftercare is so impoartant once you have a new tattoo!
I have some amazing tips below but before I get into that, I’d like to ask if you’ve had a chance to check out all the amazing tattoo resources on Miami Ink Tattoo Designs. I highly recommend it before getting your next tattoo! Miami Ink Tattoo Designs is one of the largest tattoo design collections and resources since 2009. The members area has over 25,000+ designs along with some amazing Tattoo Prints, Fonts, Videos, and much more. Our members get instant access to our complete collection 24/7 on any device.
Ok – what to do and what not to do once you have your new tattoo complete…
Keeping your new ink bright and healthy should be one of your top priorities for the first 3-5 days after its complete.
I have listed few aftercare suggestions below based on my experience with my many tattoos…
What to Do After Getting A Tattoo:
What to Do With Your New Tattoo:
- Leave the tattoo bandaged for a minimum of 3 hours and no longer than 12 hours.
- Remove bandage under warm running water. If bandage is stuck to the tattoo, gently remove it while under running water, therefore reducing the risk of damaging the tattoo.
- Once bandage is removed, using an unscented soap, wash the tattoo off well with your hand and warm soapy water.
- When done washing the tattoo off, gently pat the tattoo dry with a clean towel and allow the tattoo to air dry for about 5-10 minutes.
- Apply Curel (Ultra healing/Fragrance free) dry skin lotion to the tattoo 4-6 times a day.
- The hand lotion can be applied to the tattoo about 3-4 times daily for about 10-14 days or until the tattoo is completely done peeling.
- Somewhere between 3 and 6 days, the tattoo will start to flake off like tissue paper. Do not pick at or scratch. Let the skin peel naturally. You will notice small pieces of dry skin containing color coming off while using the lotion or washing the tattoo. This is normal- it is just a top layer of dead skin coming off. Your tattoo is not disappearing.
What NOT to Do with a New Tattoo:
- Once bandage is completely removed DO NOT rebandage the tattoo.
- NO direct sunlight on tattoo for first 2-3 weeks.
- DO NOT pick or scratch tattoo while it is peeling.
- DO NOT soak the tattoo for 2 weeks. No swimming, baths, hot tubs or saunas for 2 weeks. When tattoo has completely peeled, swimming or soaking is OK.
- No shaving or waxing area until tattoo is completely healed.
- DO NOT apply alcohol, Vaseline petroleum jelly or sunblock to fresh tattoo.
- DO NOT listen to friends or so-called tattoo experts. If you have questions, call or visit the artist that did your tattoo!
Some extra stuff:
- Once you leave the shop, proper care of your tattoo is your responsibility.
- Small amounts of color may appear on clothing or sheets for first few days.
- When tattoo is peeling, color will appear in pieces of dry skin.
- If the tattoo is in an area where it can be exposed to the air, allow it to breathe. Allowing the tattoo to breathe will help the healing. Your body and oxygen are going to heal the tattoo.
- If possible, wear loose fitting clothing over tattoo and be careful not to suffocate tattoo with socks or pantyhose.
And please DO NOT ignoring your tattooist listen what he/she has to say they are there to help.
Products I Recommend And Use: